HUNTSVILLE SPEEDWAY SPORTSMAN 2024
RULE BOOK DISCLAIMER
The rules and/or regulations set forth herein are designed to provide
for the orderly conduct of racing events and to establish minimum
acceptable requirements for such events. These rules shall govern the
condition of all events, and by participating in these events, all
participants are deemed to have complied with these rules. NO
EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM
PUBLICATIONS OF OR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE RULES AND OR
REGULATIONS. They are intended as a guide for the conduct of the
sport and are in no way a guarantee against injury or death to a
participant, spectator or official.
The race director shall be empowered to permit reasonable and
appropriate deviation from any of the specifications herein or impose
any further restrictions that in his/her opinion do not alter the
minimum acceptable requirements. NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED
WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM SUCH ALTERATION OF
SPECIFICATIONS. Any interpretation of deviation of these rules is left
to discretion of the officials. Their decision is final.
The Management of Huntsville Speedway
Warning! If you attempt to abuse the minimal amount
of rules set forth by Huntsville Speedway for the 2024
Sportsman Division, we will have no choice but to
refuse your request for participating. Just because
the rules don’t say you can’t, does not mean that you
Refer to Huntsville Speedway’s General Rules for a full list of
rules regarding driver, pit and car safety.
- All starts and restarts will be double file even with 5 laps or less to
- Cone rule will apply on restarts.
- Racing radios and neck restraints recommended.
Weight and Penalties
- Management reserves the right to alter, change or adjust weight
limits to all conforming and non-conforming cars.
- Starting minimum weight 3100 lbs, maximum weight 3450 lbs.
- Any car competing with a fiberglass/plastic/non-metal body will be
required to weigh an additional 75 lbs.
- Any car competing with an aluminum body will be required to
weigh an additional 50 lbs. Add 25 lbs for non-metal roof.
- Any car competing with a firewall back tube chassis or a cars with
altered rear lower control arm brackets on frame side will be required
to weigh an additional 75 lbs.
- Any car competing without a stock firewall and/or stock floor pans
will be required to weigh an additional 25 lbs.
- Any car competing with stock appearing single piston aluminum
calipers will be required to weigh an additional 10 lbs. for each caliper.
Add 20 lbs each for multi piston caliper.
- Any car competing with aftermarket or fabricated front spindles will
be required to weigh an additional 25 lbs.
- Any car competing with a aftermarket Super T-10 all aluminum
stock appearing transmission will be required to weigh an additional 40
lbs. (ie Jerico, Richmond OEM replacement) No magnesium casings
- Any car competing with a stock cast iron transmission will be able
to deduct 25 lbs. from starting weight.
- Any car competing with a sealed or track approved 602 crate
engine will be able to deduct 25 lbs. from starting weight.
- Tube snout, add 50 lbs.
- Quick Change, add 50 lbs.
- Wide 5 hubs, add 50 lbs.
- Maximum 56% left side weight.
- All ballast weight must be mounted securely and painted white
with your car number on each weight.
- Driver must post their claimed weight at all times in the top left
corner of the windshield in 1.5” tall numbers. Numbers must be easily
visible to HS officials. White vinyl numbers are preferred.
- No fuel burnoff allowance.
- Any American made chassis.
- Minimum wheelbase of 108”. Add 25 lbs for every inch under
minimum wheelbase. 104” wheelbase will be the minimum allowed.
- Outlaw and wedge appearing bodies permitted with no rear spoiler.
- Full magnetic steel body may also use aftermarket front and rear
- Fenders and quarter panels may be cut for tire clearance. Front
inner fender panels may be removed.
- All hoods, trunks, and rear hatches must be securely fastened.
Doors must be welded closed. No under panning permitted.
- Car must not have any sharp or pointed edges that could harm or
injure the driver, tech official or safety crew.
- Minimum roof height 48”.
- Maximum spoiler height 6” x 60” wide.
- Minimum body clearance 4” to ground.
- Must have full front lexan/polycarbonate windshield 1/8 of inch thick
- Stock passenger car spindle; may be reinforced. Any car running
aftermarket or fabricated front spindles will be required to weigh an
additional 25 lbs.
- Stock frame may be reinforced. Frame may be fabricated 6” forward
from the centerline of the car axle to rear of car and from the front
sway bar forward. No other notching or alterations to stock frame
- Any style sway bar other than a splined bar. Can run eye bolts on
- Wedge bolts permitted.
- May run after market upper A-arms and upper A-frame mounts.
- Lower control arms must be stock AND must be in stock location.
- All cars must run a stock factory dimension front clip. Stock type
steering gear box only. No rack and pinion.
- Minimum frame height is 5 inches.
- Factory four link, truck arms or fabricated three link control arms
allowed. All aftermarket control arms must have steel heim joints.
Accel/decel systems, rear steer, push/pull, lift bar, bump sticks, torque
links, tracking controller links, traction bar or traction devices of any
kind are not allowed.
- Leaf springs permitted. Must have the same number of leaf
springs on each side and must have fully enclosed bushing on both
ends. Screw type wedge adjustments permitted only at the rear of
each leaf spring. Lowering blocks or pinion shims permitted. No
sliders or cantilever type leaf springs allowed.
- Steel non-adjustable shocks ONLY. Maximum retail costs of
- POST RACE SHOCK BUY OUT – $125 per shock. Buyer must buy all
four shocks in CASH at time of protest. All four shocks must be
delivered to tech official undamaged and fully functional. Any person
who does not submit to the claim rule will be disqualified. No points,
No money. Also they will not be allow to bring those shocks back at
any time. Driver claiming shocks must have competed at HS the last
two scheduled events and finished on the led lap. IF YOU DO NOT
WANT YOUR SHOCKS CLAIMED, DO NOT EXCEED THE RULES.
- No internal or external bump stops, frame stops or suspension
limiters of any kind.
- Huntsville Speedway also reserves the right to purchase all
competing shocks in this division at any time to preserve equal and
- May run front loop bar tied to cage with one bar in front of A-arm.
- Must have an aluminum racing seat in car.
- Must have a 2-pound minimum fully operational fire extinguisher
with a gauge and with an all steel quick release mounted securely in
car within reach of driver while belted in car.
- Car must have (4) point roll cage with diagonal bar behind driver
with (3) roll bars in left door & (2) in right side door minimum.
A. Top of roll cage may extend to rear frame behind fuel cell.
B. Roll cage must be constructed with no less than 1 3/4 inch diameter
and .095 gauge tubing. Gussets required in left door bars. Bars must
be padded in driver’s area (legs & head bars & side bars).
C. Front hoop bar must not extend past radiator support.
- Rear view mirror allowed.
- Left side window net is required. Must have a quick release from the
- Fuel cell required, 22-gallon maximum.
It is recommended that fuel cell should be located as far forward as
possible, but stay behind the differential housing. Fuel cell must be
between frame rails with proper ground clearance and secured with
two 1/8” x 2” steel straps or four 1/8” X 1” steel straps and must be
approved by HS officials. Bar protecting fuel cell must be no lower
than 1 inch below fuel cell. Bottom of fuel cell must be no lower than 8
inches from ground. Mounting must be approved by the HS track
A. Must have rollover check valve.
B. Must run Huntsville Speedway fuel. 110 octane, no E85. No fuel
- All wheels must have four working brakes. Steel single piston
caliper Stock OEM style only. See weights for aluminum option.
- No aluminum brake rotors, hats or hubs allowed.
- Option 1: Open Engine
Steel block with steel heads only. No aluminum heads or Blocks
Holley 500 cfm# 4412. (No modifications allowed).
- Option 2: Crate Engine.
Factory sealed 602 with box stock 650cfm carb or box stock 500
cfm 2bbl with 602 unsealed engine. Both engines in option 2
must meet GM yellow book specs.
- Option 3: Factory sealed 604 with box stock 650cfm carb or box
stock 500 cfm 2bbl with 604 unsealed engine. Both engines in
option 3 must meet GM yellow book specs and relocate 60 lbs of
cars total weight forward of flywheel.
- Engine must be mounted in center of chassis.
- Minimum engine height will be 12 inches from ground to center of
crankshaft at a 5” frame height.
- MSD ignition allowed. No aftermarket crankshaft trigging systems
- Number one cylinder spark plug threads must either be lined up
with or in front of both front wedge bolts. If the motor setback is
further than this rule states, the car is required to bolt 25 lbs for every
inch setback in front of the flywheel. Maximum setback past wedge
bolts allowed is 3” which will incur an additional 75 lb penalty added to
- No electrical fuel pumps allowed. Camshaft driven fuel pumps
Clutch and Transmission
- All transmissions must be stock OEM, must have two working
forward and one working reverse gears. No straight cut gears
- Aluminum bell housing allowed with a minimum of 7¼ inch clutch
assembly and FSI flywheel.
- Must have an all steel approved safety bell housing for stock
diameter clutch and flywheel assembly.
- Cast iron and Super T-10 transmissions, see weight rules.
- Quick change and wide 5 rear ends see Weights and Penalties. NO
aluminum rear axle parts permitted.
- Only steel aftermarket top links allowed. No rubber joints or biscuit
- Rear end brackets on frame side must remain 100% stock and in
stock location to be considered a stock chassis.
- Only leaf spring, three and four link rear suspensions permitted.
Tires and Wheels
- American Racer KK704 only. Must have Huntsville Speedway.
(subject to change for special events)
- Only steel 8” racing wheel allowed.
- No wheel adaptors.
- No wheel weights allowed.
- No beadlocks, air bleeders or pop-offs.
- Must have 5/8” studs and 1” lug nuts.